Code Enforcement, Zoning & Planning Department

Newtown Township Department of Codes & Zoning 2017-06-30T10:40:30+00:00

The Newtown Township Codes Department is responsible for administration of the Joint Municipal  Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Floodplain Ordinance, Stormwater Ordinance and the building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical UCC Standards. The Codes Department also administers and enforces locally adopted health and nuisance standards. This department is also the administrator for the Planning Commission and Zoning Hearing Board through the Zoning Officer.

All inspections performed are to insure that buildings and properties throughout the township are in compliance with the Codes and Ordinances adopted by the Township Board of Supervisors.

Some frequently asked questions

Codes & Zoning

I would like to erect a fence on my property, whom must I notify?

ALL residents, or their contractor, MUST notify the Pennsylvania “One-Call System”, in order to identify underground utilities including gas, electric, phone and cable.

***This procedure is extremely important for your safety and your neighbor’s safety.***

In addition to this procedure, you, the resident, must contact the Newtown Townships Codes & Zoning Department to apply for a permit prior to establishing the fence.

Is a use & occupancy required when selling a house in Newtown Township?

No, Newtown Township does not require a use & occupancy for residential re-sale.  A residential use & occupancy is only required for New Construction.

Is a permit required for the placement of Real Estate Signs in Newtown Township?

Yes, a Real Estate Sign Permit form must be submitted annually. Note: Real Estate Signs must be placed on the property. Only one (1) sign shall be erected on the property unless the property fronts more than one (1) street, in which event, an additional sign is permitted.

Do I need a permit to construct a deck, patio, walkway and/or shed on my property?

Yes, any deck  constructed under 30” above grade requires a Zoning Permit, and if the deck is 30” or higher, a Zoning & Building Permit is required. Patios, walkways, driveway expansions also require Zoning Permits for setbacks and impervious.  A permit is also required to install a shed (if less than 200 sq.ft. – Zoning Only and if 200 sq.ft. or more – Zoning & Building).

Do I need a permit to replace a walkway on my property if it’s the same size as my existing walkway?

No, unless you’re increasing the impervious surface area (this is defined as area  which does not absorb water such as brick pavers, concrete, asphalt, etc.), a permit will not  be required.

Do I need a permit to replace my roof?

Any single family detached home does not  need a  permit for a roof replacement. Townhomes/attached single family dwellings do need to secure a permit for roof replacement.

Do I need a permit to install a fence?

Yes, a permit is required to install a fence.  (Note: If you  live in a development with a Homeowner’s Association (HOA), you will be required to submit a letter from your HOA with the permit application.)

Do I need a permit to replace an existing fence on my property?

Yes, unless it is  considered  a “same in kind” replacement which means it’s the same type of fence, same height of  the existing fence, same type of materials, same location, etc. and a permit was issued.

Do I need a permit to replace a window?

A permit will be required only if the new window is  not the same size as the existing window and requires structural changes (framing).