Township Building Permits & Related Forms

Permit Applications & Forms 2017-11-17T13:38:51+00:00

Permit applications, certificates of occupancy, and administrative conditional uses are examples of  items that are reviewed by the Zoning Officer who enforces the Newtown Township Joint Municipal Zoning Ordinance.  Examples of permits that require Zoning approval include but are not limited to the following: patios, fences, decks, walkways, sheds, new homes, signs, home occupations, etc.

Permit applications are also reviewed by the Building Official who is certified by the State of Pennsylvania in building, plumbing, fire and mechanical codes.

Note: The Building Official is not certified to do electrical reviews or inspections. All permit applications proposing electrical work must be reviewed, approved and stamped by a 3rd party Electrical Inspection Agency (see the Electrical Underwriter Inspection Agencies Supplement form below for more information).

All fees are assessed in accordance with the Schedule of Fees and Charges

Permits & Related Forms

Examples of when permits ARE required include, but are not limited to the following: installation of fences, sheds, porticos, gazebos, walkways, patios, decks, additions, detached garages, finished basements, egress windows, new home construction, new commercial/non-residential construction, gas fireplaces, tenant fit-outs, signs, swimming pools, townhouse roofs, driveway expansions, electric, plumbing, HVAC, and any structural changes to the interior and/or exterior of a building.

Examples of when permits ARE NOT required include, but are not limited to the following: replacement of kitchen cabinets, carpeting, tiling, replacement of windows in kind (same size/location), installation and replacement of siding, single-family detached dwelling roofs, replacement of walkways in kind (same size/location – no additional impervious surface), low voltage communications wiring (residential only),  replacement of  plumbing fixtures in kind as per the discretion of the Building Official, and any cosmetic repairs and/or modifications to a building.

Building & Zoning Permit Forms

Permit Supplements

Contractor Registration Form

All contractors must register with Newtown Township. Commercial contractors and New Home contractors must pay an annual fee of $125.00. Home improvement contractors must be registered with the State of PA and can register here

Certificate of Occupancy Forms

A Certificate of Occupancy must be issued prior to occupying a commercial/non-residential space and prior to occupying a new dwelling in Newtown Township. A Certificate of Occupancy is not required for residential re-sales.

Conditional Use Forms

Conditional Use approval is required for certain uses in accordance with Articles IV thru VII and Article XIII of the Newtown Township Joint Municipal Zoning Ordinance.  A Conditional Use can be approved administratively by the Zoning Officer if it meets the criteria outlined in Resolution 2007-R-10, otherwise the Conditional Use will require approval by the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.

Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) Form

A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for the erection, reconstruction, alteration, restoration, and demolition, in whole or in part, of any structure (exterior), sign, fence, and landscape feature located in the Historic District.

Home Occupation/Accessory Office Forms

A Home Occupation Permit is required for the operation of a business and/or commercial activity from a primary residence including, but not limited to the following: offices for professional practice of architecture, accounting, law, engineering, clergy and teaching and subprofessional occupations as retailing products such as greeting cards, cosmetics, household wares, vitamins, antiques and the like.

Road Occupancy/Frontage Improvement Form

A Road Occupancy/Frontage Improvement permit is required for any repairs, improvements and construction in the Newtown Township Right-of-Way including, but not limited to the following: driveway aprons, public sidewalks, curbs, utilities, and cable.

Temporary Signage Forms

A Sign Permit is required for the erection, construction, attachment, suspension, alteration, relocation, demolition, renewal and/or painting of any sign in accordance with Article XI of the Newtown Township Joint Municipal Zoning Ordinance. If the sign is located in the Historic District, please refer to the Historical Architectural Review Board Form.

Appeals Forms

A Zoning Hearing Board Application is to be submitted when applying for a variance, special exception, appeal from  the action of the Zoning Officer, challenge to the validity of the Zoning Ordinance, and/or land use appeal.

Zoning Hearing Board Applications must be submitted approximately 6 weeks prior to the Zoning Hearing Board meeting. Meetings are held on the 1st Thursday of each month.

Subdivision and Land Development

All applications must be submitted in accordance with the Newtown Township Code of Ordinances: Chapter 8, Floodplain;  Chapter 22, Subdivision and Land Development; Chapter 26, Part 2, Stormwater Management; Chapter 27, Newtown Township Joint Municipal Zoning Ordinance and Municipalities Planning Code (MPC).

Special Events Forms

To be completed if proposing a public gathering that may result in road closures and/or impact traffic patterns such as parades, 5K runs, and other similar events